Friday, May 29, 2009

Kobe vs. LeBron

I think I may have missed my calling when it comes to career dreams (then again, don't we all?) I feel like I could discuss sports all day. I don't even listen to radio stations that play music anymore, unless Amy and I are going somewhere where I can't find a sports radio station. Sadly, Othello, WA, which is Amy's hometown that we visit often, fits this category.

But, when I listen to the stations we get in Seattle, used to be one station, now two despite the fact that we lost the Sonics, I get the distinct feeling that the guys that talk about sports on the radio are no different than me, except for a couple of key differences.

1) They never played sports, and usually get paired up with an athelete that never "went to class" in college and therefore the uninitiated guy plays off the jock.
2) All they did, in many cases, is intern at a radio station making coffee, running dry cleaning around and hitting switches on a sound board.

All of that being said, I'm very torn about these NBA playoffs. On the one hand, the NBA and the rest of the world for that matter, want Kobe vs. Lebron. I'm not so sure that I don't either. It would be a marketing dream, already is for NIKE, but I think it would regress the league, like fighting in th 90's did.

Personally, which may be redundant to say in a blog, I would like to see a return to "team" basketball like the Celtics and Lakers used to play in the 80's. I really like how the Magic are playing right now. They seem to be the only team that doesn't have the "1 on 5" offense. They actually pass the ball and run actual plays. Granted, this is probably the last team that Darth Vader, excuse me I meant David Stern, wants in the Finals, but it's looking inevitable.

And I for one would welcome it.

Mahalo.

2 comments:

  1. I'm confused about the first part of this post

    #1...were you the jock in college or the guy who didn't go to class or...? Did you play on a college sports team? I don't remember being told that about you.
    #2...did you work in a radio station? That's another thing I didn't know about you. I guess there really is a lot I don't know about you.

    One last confusion...why "Mahalo"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry for the late reply. Like I may have mentioned in my first posting, I will probably blow hot and cold on how often I post blogs here. I am very happy that you read my comments and formulated questions. It tells me me that you are interested in knowing, not only what's going on with the "Crandell Family", but that you take the time to at least read what is personally important to me at any given time. It means a lot to me that you are interested.

    That being said, I will be delighted, which may be an understatement, in addressing each of your questions in order.

    #1 I was lucky enough to be just gifted enough athletically and mentally to devote more time to sports starting in 9th grade than I had in my younger years. I suffered almost no repercussions from going from the smart "Geek" side of the world, to the "Dumb" jock side of the world.

    I was a jock in high school, I went to college at a very small private school, Albion College in Southwest Michigan, to pursue my desire to play college football. It cost my parents a great deal of money for 1 semester. It was an almost Ivy League level of education and dedication to studies. I was there solely to pursue "my dream" of playing college football. I made it to my second practice of my first day of practice and I broke a bone in my foot and was wiped out for the season. To this day, I regret not sticking it out and staying there and playing football, but I am where I am today because of the decisions I made then. So I am happy.

    #2 I've never worked in a radio station before, but listening to a sports radio station devoted solely to 2 pro Seattle teams and UW and WSU, I've learned that they have a lot of time to fill with the boring details of their day to day duties. I feel like I could do their job while doing my current job concurrently. I am probably 100% wrong, but with the economy these days we all feel like we work harder than our neighbors do.

    Mahalo is apparently a Hawaiin greeting, like Aloha, that my favorite entertainer, Adam Carolla, uses to sign off his former radio show and current podcast.

    Wow. That was probably a lot more long-winded than I initially sought out to be, but it is nice to reach you in any way.

    Both Amy and I look forward to the day when we can do this in your living room someday, hopefully very soon.

    Love,

    Your Son-In-Law Craig.

    ReplyDelete