Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Working 9 to 5.....NOT!!!

You would think that in the deep recession that we are in that work would be cut in half and we would be sitting at our desks all day playing minesweeper. Yet, I work harder now than a one-legged man in an ass-kicking contest. I yearn to have a work related injury just debilitating enough to keep me from being able to go into the office and "thinking too hard".

While we are on the subject of work, I often ponder the following question. How did things get done back in the pre-computer/copy machine days? For example; I'll draw up a contract (1 week with the help of lawyers), I'll mail it to you (3-5 business days), you read and review it (1 week with the help of lawyers), revise it and mail it back (1 week with lawyers) and I'll read it and agree to it (1 week with lawyers), mail it (3-5 days) and you sign it. The same scenario now takes what a few hours or 1 day? Yet, we have never been busier or worked longer hours. I wish I could go back to 1955 and work 8 hours, have a secretary that does all the busy work, take 2 hour lunches, drink at work and get nothing done.

The new show Mad Men has ruined it for everyone working in this generation.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Your dad and my dad both worked in that 50's/60's era and you can insinuate that they didn't work as hard as you do? I know that my dad worked his butt off and I'm sure yours did too. Please don't confuse a television show with "real life".

    ReplyDelete