Friday, May 29, 2009

Not feeling well

So, I figured I'd give you all an update, or the whole story rather, so here goes...

One night in March I suddenly had severe pain at the top of my stomach around the base of my sternum. Craig loaded up Cooper and I and drove us to the Group Health Urgent Care facility here in Bellevue. The ran a bunch of tests, took an x-ray, and told me I had GERD(GURD?). Basically, severe acid reflux.

They gave me some medicine, Omeprazole, that is a preventative medicine for acid reflux. I took it for a couple of weeks with no futher instances of the pain. I stopped taking the medicine because I thought that maybe the time in March was just a one time thing. I didn't want to take medicine forever if I didn't really need it.

I was fine until a couple of weeks ago. I started having some symptoms so I started taking the medicine again. I ran out and asked for a refill. I didn't get the refill until Tuesday. That ended up being too late. Starting on Monday night I had the severe pain again. I've been waking up at 11am every night this week with pain and not being able to get back to sleep until around 2 or 3am.

I finally decided last night that the pain was too much to bear and told Craig I was taking myself to urgent care again. I wanted him to stay home with Cooper so that we didn't have to disturb him.

When I got to urgent care I told them that I was having some chest pain in addition to the pain that I was having. Turns out you get seen a whole lot faster if you tell them you're having chest pain. Anyway, they did an EKG - it was fine. They took some blood - the tests came out fine. They suggested that I possibly have something wrong with my gall bladder, such as gall stones. I have an ultra sound scheduled on Monday morning. They gave me some generic Vicodin to handle the pain until something more can be done.

I did a small bit of research on gall stones and they can be caused by inherited body chemistry, body weight, diet, or the increase of the hormone estrogen due to pregnancy or birth control pills. Hmm, It seems that I could fall into any one of those categories.

In a way, I hope that I do have gall stones, as they can fix that and I would possibly never have to feel this pain again.

I'll keep you updated as I am.

Have a great day!

Love, Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment